Tuesday, March 15, 2011

ROY BUCHANAN / live stock

Live stock

Bit rate 192 kps

LINK: livestock


01. I am a ram

02. Reelin' and rockin'

03. Hot cha

04. Further on the road

05. Roy's bluz

06. Can I change my mind

07. I'm evil


First Comment:


I will never forget the first time I saw Roy Buchanan live. In 1976, at Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom in Atlanta GA, Roy played 4 nights in a row,Wed. thru Sat. There were 2 sets each night. Roy played his first sets from about 10 until midnight, and the 2d from 2 to 4a.m. Bugs Henderson (!) was the opening act. I was there for every string-bending, chicken-picking, volume-swelling, steel-imitating, tube-frying minute. I was dumbfounded. I have been a serious guitar player for 30 years. Let me tell you, there are very few electric players in his league. As much as I love Eric Clapton, Roy was in a different category. His technique and unbelieveable depth of emotion were astonishing. More comparable players who were influenced by Roy are people like Arlen Roth, Danny Gatton, Eric Johnson and David Grissom. "Live Stock" is a great-sounding record that captures the essence of Roy. Favorite tracks are the sweet-soul "Can I Change My Mind", and instrumental "Hot-Cha". Don't worry about Billy Price's singing, he sounds great. If you like ANY kind of emotional electric guitar playing, you will be in bliss when you hear Roy. Thank me later.

Second Comment:

"Can we have a warm New York welcome please for Mr Roy Buchanan". So begins the best live album from any artist of any musical discipline I've heard. Roy's technical skills are legendary and, on this record, probably displayed to best effect on Roy's Bluz, surely the most searing live blues guitar performance ever committed to vinyl. But the sweet, smooth-as-silk white blues of Can I Change My Mind is probably my favourite. Many of my friends have been turned onto Roy from listening to this album. This album has been part of the soundtrack of my life for the past 24 years. An added bonus is that I live just a few minutes from the butcher shop shown on the front cover! Long live King Roy.

.

No comments: